Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thinking About Hell

Over the last few days I have been thinking a little bit about the subject of hell. I cannot say that it is a subject that I like thinking about, yet that does not mean I should avoid it. This morning I read a quote from R. C. Sproul that challenged me about how I should think about hell. On page 12 of his book Chosen by God, Sproul wrote, "You are required to believe, to preach, and to teach what the Bible says is true, not what you want the Bible to say is true." His words words hit me with considerable force. If I say that the Bible is God's Word, then I need to believe it and not what I like. That is easy to say, but it is harder to actually do. Believing God and His Word implicitly and explicitly means that I will have to change and conform to it, instead of trying to get it to fit into my life and thinking. That can be painful, but necessary.

Further on the subject of hell, I also read an article this morning by Timothy Keller entitled, "The Importance of Hell." I have inserted the link below. I think the article can help us think more clearly in line with the Bible about hell.

http://www.redeemer.com/news_and_events/articles/the_importance_of_hell.html

It does feel right to say enjoy reading an article about hell, but I do pray that it will edify you and help us have a better grasp on a subject that was very important to Jesus. And if I am going to live as a follower of Jesus, I need to have the same values as Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment