Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Embraced by God's Word

Two Sundays ago, we focused on Psalm 1 and our need to embrace God’s Word. I pray that you are taking the time to do that very thing – to get God’s Word into your life and then have it run through your life. One thing I do not think we talked about that Sunday connected to embracing God’s Word is that when you embrace God’s Word, you will undoubtedly find that God’s Word will be embrace you. What I mean by that is at different places and times, verses you have memorized and meditated over will seemingly pop to mind, challenging you to think about the verse again and again. When this type of thing happens, I believe that is an indicator of the Holy Spirit seeking to help us. Last Sunday during the Lord’s Supper I mentioned a verse the Holy Spirit has used with me a lot of times – Romans 5:8. Another verse the Holy Spirit uses with me is Ephesians 5:8

Ephesians 5:8 – for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

In those few words, God has reminds me of a couple of critical facts. First, I was darkness. Second, I am light in the Lord Jesus. Because the Lord Jesus came, died for our sins on the cross, and rose again, He made it possible for me to go from darkness to light. The way that happens – for me to go from darkness to light, for anyone to go from darkness to light, is that I was introduced to the story of the Lord Jesus and I learned that if I would turn from sin to God and trust the Lord Jesus as my Savior, He would make me light in Him.

God has also used Ephesians 5:8 to remind me that because I am light in the Lord, that fact should change the way I approach and live life – I need to walk as a child of light. That fact and its call for the right response is literally life change in a big broad sense, but it should also show up and impact each area of life. God’s Word really can spark changes in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment