Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What about People Who Have Not Heard?

In the blogs I read and even in the more popular media, like Time magazine, there has been considerable discussion in the last few months about God, His characteristics and people who have not heard about the Lord Jesus. These topics have been something I have wrestled with at different times over the 29 years that I have been a follower of the Lord Jesus. Between college and seminary I worked for an oil company. As I tried to be a witness to people I worked with, or in missional terms of today, a missionary, I can remember conversations in which these issues were a stated issue for people I worked with and for. In seminary I had to wrestle with them in an academic manner. As a pastor these issues have shown up in different ways as well. Over the last 5 years I have been working full time and trying to complete a doctoral degree on the side. These issues have often come up for me as a part of my school reading, assignments or discussions. I recognize it is an emotionally charged issue: we are talking about God and the eternal destinies of people. Both of those should engage us deeply.

Belong is a link to an academic article that I think is helpful for those who are wrestling with in some ways the issues mentioned above. It probably will not bring complete satisfaction to every reader, but maybe it will help you understand more clearly what the Bible teaches on a challenging issue. If you have any thoughts after reading it, please let me know. I would enjoy interacting with you.

The Hopelessness of the Unevangelized

No comments:

Post a Comment